BOSTON (UKTN) — Restaurant owners in Boston’s North End will have a few extra days to apply for this year’s outdoor dining program.
The city said that due to technical difficulties with the online application system, the application UKTN has been pushed back to Wednesday. Originally, restaurants had until Sunday to participate in the program.
There will be a virtual meeting on Wednesday afternoon for restaurateurs who need help with the application.
Restaurant owners are at odds with Mayor Michelle Wu over outdoor dining plans, saying they feel targeted as the only neighborhood forced to pay a $7,500 fee to join the program.
Wu said the North End is unique because there are a large number of patios that take up parking spaces. The mayor said she tries to balance meals with residents’ quality of life.
Last year there were 77 outdoor dining terraces in just 0.2 square miles of the North End, including 70 on public property. By comparison, there were 51 patios in Back Bay with 21 street locations. There were 14 in the Seaport, seven in Roxbury, six in Charlestown and one patio in Chinatown.