East Looe Town Trust has issued an update from local vets and advice to owners
Author: Emma HartPublished 3 hours ago
Last updated 43 minutes ago
There are reports of dogs falling ill and one having died after being walked on the Wooldown in Looe.
The East Looe Town Trust says it is aware of reports of the possibility of a toxic substance in the fields.
Officials have liaised with local vets, who say there are no deaths or illnesses of dogs linked to any toxin.
The trust was also told vets have no specific health concerns linked to the open area of countryside.
It insists no pesticides are used on the Wooldown and staff regularly empty the bins to reduce the risk of pets eating anything harmful.
However, the trust says there is always the possibility of stings or bites and owners are being urged to contact their vets if they have any concerns.
A post on the East Looe Town Trust Facebook page says: “The Trust are aware of reports of the possibility of a toxic substance on the Wooldown after social media reports of dogs being ill and sadly one dog passing away after being exercised in the area last week.
“We have not had any direct information from the dog owners but have liaised with the local vets who advise that there are no deaths or illnesses of dogs linked to any toxin and they do not have any specific health concerns linked to the Wooldown.
“The Trust do not use any pesticides on the Wooldown at all and the staff regularly empty the bins and litter pick the area to minimise the chance of dogs eating anything that could harm them.
“The Wooldown is a natural area and there is always the possibility of stings or bites and we would urge any dog owner to seek advice from their vet if a dog appears to have been stung or bitten.
“If you have any concerns or require more information about the management of the Wooldown then please contact the office on 01503 263709 or firstname.lastname@example.org”