98% of Scottish lamb exports goes to EU and far less than the other 2%, well actually FA, goes to Oz

March 16, 2024 | by magnews24.com

Pool photo by Ben Birchall via Getty Images
Talking-up Scotland costs nothing so donate to our friends at  https://www.broadcastingscotland.scot/donate/ or take out a subscription to the Scots Independent newspaper in which I have a column, at: https://scotsindependent.scot/FWShop/product-category/subscriptions/

According to Politico, in June 2023:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson personally apologized to his Australian counterpart Scott Morrison for Britain’s decision to join the EU almost 50 years earlier as he signed away greater access to Britain’s beef markets than had ever been conceived by his senior officials.

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-sold-out-uk-farmers-australia-trade-deal-uk/

On 14 March 2024, we hear from National World:

Brexit: no British beef exported to Australia under UK’s first post-EU trade deal due to red tape

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/brexit-british-beef-australia-trade-4556041

So Scotland’s share of that zero? We do produce a lot of beef so it must be quite a big share? I’ve worked it out – it’s diddley squat.

What is the value of our red meat exports?

£93 million in 2022/2023.

Where does it go?

The report shows that almost 95% of overall export revenues were generated in EU markets, climbing to 98% for Scotch lamb.

https://www.farmersguide.co.uk/livestock/scottish-red-meat-exports-soar-to-new-record-highs-of-93m/

Is this a big deal for Scotland?

30% of all UK food and drink exports but only 8% of the population. Could we feed ourselves after independence, we wonder.

Other sources

Talking-up Scotland costs nothing so donate to our friends at  https://www.broadcastingscotland.scot/donate/ or take out a subscription to the Scots Independent newspaper in which I have a column, at: https://scotsindependent.scot/FWShop/product-category/subscriptions/
Talking-up Scotland costs nothing so donate to our friends at  https://www.broadcastingscotland.scot/donate/ or take out a subscription to the Scots Independent newspaper in which I have a column, at: https://scotsindependent.scot/FWShop/product-category/subscriptions/

RELATED POSTS

View all

view all